Oklahoma Education Association endorses Democratic gubernatorial candidate Drew Edmondson

• 0
Drew Edmondson (copy)

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Drew Edmondson. Edmondson was endorsed by the Oklahoma Education Association.

The Oklahoma Education Association endorsed Democratic gubernatorial candidate Drew Edmondson on Oct. 11, per a news release.

The OEA is Oklahoma’s “largest professional organization for education professionals,” according to its website. Edmondson has advocated for restoring the gross production tax on oil and gas to increase education funding, the news release said.

“It’s time to set partisanship aside and do what’s right for our kids. People of all political parties recognize the importance of public education and the critical impact it will have on our state’s future,” Edmondson said, per the news release. “Public education will be my top priority in the governor’s office. I am proud to have this endorsement and the support of teachers and parents throughout the state.”

OEA president Alicia Priest said Edmondson has been a proponent of public education for a while.

“Drew has supported public education every day of his career, beginning when he taught for Muskogee Public Schools,” said Alicia Priest, according to the news release. “Most importantly, Drew is the only candidate who has an actual plan to increase funding for Oklahoma’s schools.”

Priest also said Edmondson was supportive of the teacher walkouts in April and that his Republican opponent Kevin Stitt would not have signed the bill approving teacher raises it if he had been governor.

“Drew Edmondson stood with educators every day of the walkout, and he supported HB 1010xx,” Priest said. “Kevin Stitt said as governor he would not have signed it. We need a leader who can help both Republicans and Democrats find new bipartisan agreements in the coming legislative session. That leader is Drew Edmondson.”