Off the Market symposium T-shirt design

Sooners can learn how they can change their daily lives to make an impact that will help end human trafficking at a symposium Tuesday.

The symposium “Off the Market” will feature keynote speaker Kevin Bates, who is a global expert on human trafficking, said Lucy Mahaffey, OU student who helped plan the event. Attendees also will hear from an Oklahoma survivor of sex trafficking to learn more about her experience.

The event will take place from 1 to 5:30 p.m. in Zarrow Hall’s J.J. Rhyne Community Room. While the Facebook event page says registration for the symposium ended Sept. 12, Mahaffey said individuals can still attend and come and go as they please.

After the event, Raising Cane’s in Adams Center and Pita Pit on Campus Corner will host a benefit night from 5 to 9 p.m. to raise funds for anti-trafficking efforts in Oklahoma. If you mention the Off the Market symposium, the restaurants will give 15 percent of the proceeds to the efforts, Mahaffey said.

The final part of the symposium is Bates’ keynote address, which will take place from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in Zarrow Hall’s J.J. Rhyne Community Room, Mahaffey said.

Paighten Harkins is a journalism senior and the digital managing editor for The Daily. She has previously served as campus editor, assistant campus editor and a campus reporter.