Kelly Lynn wins Ward 3 Norman City Council seat, becomes second Unite Norman candidate to win election

• 1
Lynn

Unite Norman candidate Kelly Lynn has won the Norman City Council Ward 3 election, according to unofficial online results.

Unite Norman-backed candidate Kelly Lynn won the Norman City Council Ward 3 election Tuesday night, becoming the second candidate endorsed by the organization to earn a city council seat.

Lynn received 52.39 percent of votes cast, with Petrone attracting 47.61 percent of voters, according to unofficial online results from the Oklahoma State Election Board. In the Feb. 9 election, Lynn received 30.24 percent of the votes, while Petrone received 40.34.

A national guard member and general practice lawyer for Pitts, Amend & Lynn Law Group LLC, Lynn previously told The Daily he hopes to “center the ship” on the city council and serve as a voice for conservative Normanites. Lynn joins Ward 5 Councilmember-elect Rarchar Tortorello as the councilmember-elect endorsed by Unite Norman.

Lynn is also endorsed by the Norman Fraternal Order of Police and said support for local law enforcement is one of his top priorities. Lynn previously criticized the Norman City Council’s decision — which Petrone supported — to reduce a proposed Norman Police Department budget increase as a “knee-jerk reaction” to national trends.

When contacted by The Daily for a statement following finalization of results, Lynn responded by texting “SCOREBOARD” to a Daily editor at 9:22 p.m.

After taking “a few days to reflect,” Lynn sent another statement to The Daily April 9 via text at 11:56 a.m.

“First and foremost, I thank God. He laid it on my heart to take on this challenge, then delivered the energy and support to accomplish it,” Lynn wrote in the text. “It has been the most humbling experience of my life. I also give endless praise to my family, my amazing campaign team, all the volunteers, every single person that endorsed me … from celebrity to elected officials to everyday citizens and including (Unite Norman) and the Norman (Fraternal Order of Police) … any that made a contribution, and all that showed up to vote.”

Lynn wrote in the text that his victory had nothing to do with him, but it had everything to do with “WE” and “US.”

“I am but a vessel for those that have felt their voices being neglected and their entire value systems under attack,” Lynn wrote in the text. “In this world of chaos and political turmoil, WE needed a win!”

Lynn thanked Alison Petrone for her “graceful concession” and wrote Norman “needs elected officials that will lead with courage and have integrity to deliver the promises they made to get elected.” He wrote he will be “unwavering” and “a champion to represent OUR values.” 

“I conclude by praying for your peace and joy, knowing that there will be more victories to come … scoreboard,” Lynn wrote. 

Lynn’s term will run until the next Ward 3 election in February of 2023.

This article was updated at 1:16 p.m. April 9 to include another statement from Kelly Lynn.

Blake Douglas joined the OU Daily news desk in October 2018, and is currently the news managing editor. Previously, Blake has served as an intern reporter, senior news reporter and summer news editor.