Green the Vote board members inflate number of signatures on recreational marijuana petition

• 1
smoking joint

In a staged photo, a student smokes a joint. Leaders of Green the Vote admitted to inflating signature counts on a petition to put State Question 797, which would legalize recreational marijuana in Oklahoma, on the upcoming November ballot. 

The number of signatures on a petition to put State Question 797, which would legalize recreational marijuana in Oklahoma, on the November ballot were inflated by petition organizers, the Tulsa World reports

Green the Vote board member Dody Sullivan said in a Facebook Live video earlier this week that she and Isaac Caviness, another board member, devised a plan to inflate the counts so the marijuana movement would remain motivated. 

The group previously said there were 132,527 signatures, more than the 124,000 needed to place the State Question on the upcoming ballot. 

In a Facebook video responding to Sullivan on Monday, Caviness said the group recounted signatures and has roughly 78,000. 

The deadline to gather signatures is Wednesday, Aug. 8, and Green the Vote said it still plans to turn in its petition for State Question 797. Read the full Tulsa World story here

Tags