Secret Show

Sketch comedians Kenny Madison, Kellen Hodgeson, and Harper Bottorff act out a spontaneous sketch while broadcast electronic media junior Courtney Wolfjen films their rehearsal on Thursday night. Other OU broadcast media students helped to record their rehearsals in preparation for the upcoming taping of their show in front of a studio audience.

In a small but versatile studio tucked away in Gaylord Hall, students arrange three Sony HDR cameras and numerous microphones. A few rooms down, the members of a local comedy troupe, Oak City Comedy, are waiting to perform.

Even when they’re just hanging out and eating free pizza, the troupe simply cannot stop being hilarious. It’s apparent that all of the talent and resources for a great comedy variety show are in abundance.

The filmmakers and comedians are assembled for a rehearsal of the upcoming sketch comedy series “Secret Show,” which will be filmed at 8 p.m. Thursday in front of a live audience in Gaylord Hall’s Studio D.

All OU students can eat free pizza and see the show, which will consist of stand-up, improvisational and sketch comedy, said Taylor Mullins, executive producer and broadcast and electronic media graduate student.

Mullins said the cast and crew’s passion for what they’re doing will make the show great.

“It’s going to be a mix of ‘Whose Line is it Anyway?’ and ‘Saturday Night Live,’” Mullins said.

The live show will have stand-up comedy and improvised scenes based on audience suggestions, Mullins said. He will then edit the tape down to the funniest moments.

After that, the Oak City members will write and act in sketches that will be added to cuts from the live show to make a 22-minute TV pilot, Mullins said.

Kenny Madison, a founding member of Oak City Comedy, is optimistic about this format. 

“This way, if you come to the live show you’ll get a unique experience, and if you watch the taped show, you’ll get a unique experience,” Madison said.

Mullins and his crew have to work quickly and quietly to capture Oak City’s performance. Mullins relies heavily on associate producer Malik Carter, petroleum-engineering sophomore, to keep things running smoothly.

Although Carter’s major is not related to broadcasting, it is what he’s passionate about and what he wants to do as a career.

“Nobody goes into petroleum engineering wanting to be a petroleum engineer,” Carter said. “I’ve never heard kids say that.”

The show is filled with people like Carter who dedicate themselves to putting on a great show because it’s what they love to do, Mullins said.

Mullins worked in the production industry for a while, before deciding to return to Gaylord to get his graduate degree.

“Getting your own stuff made is really hard, it takes a lot of resources,” Mullins said. “The resources that they have, the passion I saw in people here during my undergrad, that’s what I wanted to work with.”