featured top story

Jack White concert costs OU over $80,000

• 13
Jack White

OU has spent over $80,000 dollars to get Jack White to perform at the sold out concert on Monday at the McCasland Field House.

The university has agreed to pay for first class sound and lights, hotel accommodations, ground transportation to and from Oklahoma City Airport, $80,000 in compensation and “artist hospitality as mutually agreed upon,” according to White’s contract, which was signed by Kristen Partridge, Student Life director and assistant dean of students.

On White’s end, the band has agreed to pay for airfare and the opening act. White will also receive 100 percent of the proceeds from the CD and DVD merchandise sold and 85 percent of the proceeds from shirts sold.

White in the contract is guaranteed $80,000 versus the right to receive 90 percent of the amount earned from ticket sales, which have a net potential of a little over $147,000.

However, the show’s expenses are totaled at $40,500, includes catering, security, setting up the stage, ushers, ticket printing and staff. The most costly concert expense is advertising, which total $7,500.

After multiple calls and emails, members from Campus Activities Council, the group putting on the event, declined to comment.

Doors for the show open at 7 p.m, Feb. 2. The opening act will take the stage at 8 p.m., and White will start performing at 9 p.m. The concert will feature hit singles “Seven Nation Army,” “Lazaretto” and “Freedom at 21,” according to a press release.

Check out the full text of Jack White's contract to perform at OU here:

Emily Sharp is a freshman journalism major at the University of Oklahoma who works as the Life and Arts editor for The Daily.