Well-known a cappella group Cantus to come to OU

• 0
Cantus

Men's ensemble Cantus. The a capella choir troupe will visit OU Sept. 13.

The Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts is bringing the men’s ensemble Cantus to OU.

This eight-man a cappella choir troupe is one of the few full-time vocal ensembles in America. The Minneapolis-based group was established 24 years ago and have since had many member changes and grown their repertoire.

Rave reviews from the Washington Post and the New Yorker about Cantus have only added to its impressive reputation, previous awards and numerous musical grants.

Performing more than 60 concerts a year domestically and internationally, the group has graced many of the world’s top performance halls, including Lincoln Center and Kennedy Center, with a melodic flow and “wide-ranging stylistic fluency,” the Washington Post said.

The ensemble rehearses and performs as a democratic group of chamber musicians without a conductor, and it has performed music from the Renaissance all the way through to the 21st Century. David Geist, a baritone for Cantus, highlights this as one thing he likes the most about the group.

“We are a classical ensemble but we sing a wide variety,” Geist said.

Geist said Cantus presents programs with a “narrative arc” and their OU performance will center around “technology and the way humans connect.” The group drew inspiration from a technology-driven lifestyle where people “struggle to connect in a world where we are more connected than ever,” Geist said. The program will include music by Beethoven, Leonard Bernstein and Dave Matthews, as well as an adapted song from the musical "Dear Evan Hansen."

Geist received his Master's in Voice Performance from OU. Cantus is dedicated to furthering music education in schools, so all proceeds from this event will go to the OU School of Music's general scholarship fund. Student tickets are $10 and adult tickets are $20.

This event is presented by the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts and sponsored by the OU Friends of Music. It will be 8 p.m. Sept. 13 in the Sharp Concert Hall of Catlett Music Center. For tickets or more information call (405)-325-4101.