University Theatre to perform adaptation of 'A Christmas Carol'

• 0
Christmas Carol

"A Christmas Carol" will open 8 p.m., Nov. 30, in the Elsie C. Brackett Theatre, 563 Elm Ave. Succeeding performances will be at 8 p.m., Dec. 1, 6 and 7, and at 3 p.m., Dec. 1, 2 and 8.

OU’s University Theatre will perform an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ play “A Christmas Carol,” adapted and directed by an OU professor, which opens Nov. 30. 

The show will feature 30 students from OU’s School of Drama and School of Dance and children from the local community, according to a press release sent to The Daily.

The production is adapted and directed by Tom Huston Orr, OU drama professor, with musical direction by Mandy Jiran, assistant professor of vocal performance, and choreography direction by Roxanne Lyst, assistant professor of modern dance, according to the release.

Dickens’ classic play follows Ebenezer Scrooge and his journey with the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future and his search for the true meaning of Christmas.

“It's a classic Christmas story about family, redemption and a little bit of magic,” said Madison Penzkover, an acting junior who plays the lamplighter and ghost of Christmas past.

Penzkover said the lighting, costumes and set are “absolutely spectacular.”

“The story of 'A Christmas Carol' is beautiful, and it will definitely get you into the Christmas spirit,” Penzkover said.

“A Christmas Carol” opens 8 p.m., Nov. 30, in the Elsie C. Brackett Theatre, 563 Elm Ave. Succeeding performances will be 8 p.m., Dec. 1, 6 and 7, and 3 p.m. on Dec. 1, 2 and 8.

Pre-purchased tickets cost $10 for students with an ID, $20 for OU employees, military and seniors and $25 for adults.

Tickets for “A Christmas Carol” are available for purchase online, by calling the Fine Arts Box Office at 405-325-4101, or visiting the box office in Catlett Music Center, 500 W. Boyd St.