Sooner Theatre's new production manager brings different technical elements to stage

• 0
Michael Todd

New Sooner Theatre production manager Michael Todd. Todd previously worked at Oklahoma City University and Towson University.

The new production manager for Sooner Theatre looks to add a different perspective to the organization’s shows.

Sooner Theatre announced Michael Todd as the new production manager for group in a Facebook post Nov. 19.

“Definitely his experience fits in with what we need and some of the goals we’re trying to get accomplished,” said Nancy Coggins, public relations and development director for Sooner Theatre. “He’s got some great ideas. It’s still early in his tenure here, so we’ve got one show under his belt, and he’ll continue to do great and amazing things as he gets to know us more.”

According to the Facebook post, Todd has taught music and theater programs at Oklahoma City University and Towson University in Towson, Maryland.

Todd is also a singer and songwriter who has toured with Starship, Sawyer Brown, Tracy Lawrence and others.

Todd worked with Sooner Theatre on its first production of “Hairspray,” a show that follows the story of Tracy Turnblad and her dream of dancing on "The Corny Collins Show" in Baltimore in 1962.

“In ‘Hairspray,’ he was able to bring some great video elements to the show that we didn’t have the resource for before he came,” Coggins said. “It was nice to see the way he tied in the perspective of a TV dance show of the live production of ‘Hairspray.’”

Todd is currently working on Sooner Theatre’s next production, “A Christmas Story,” which will open Dec. 7 and run Dec. 8, 9, 14, 15 and 16. Tickets are on sale now on the theater’s website. According to Coggins, there will also be student rush tickets that will be half-price and available one hour before all performances.

Todd is also working on the theater’s junior production of “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Jr.,” which will run the first weekend of February.