Serafin String Quartet to perform in Norman, collaborate with OU faculty

• 0
Serafin String Quartet

The Serafin String Quartet. Kate Ransom, violinist and founder of the quartet, will perform with OU faculty in Norman.

Delaware-based Serafin String Quartet will reunite to perform upcoming concerts in Norman, Tulsa and Stillwater.

According to its website, the Serafin String Quartet is recognized by many platforms, including Gramophone Magazine, The Strad Magazine and Fanfare, for the four musicians' talent in “playing with style and sophistication” when performing all ranges of string quartet, from Haydn to Higdon.

Kate Ransom, acclaimed violinist and founder of the quartet, will collaborate with Hal Grossman, violinist and OU faculty member, and Stephanie Leon Shames, pianist.

Shames currently serves as a visiting instructor and accompanist for the OU School of Music. She is recognized as an “Artistic Ambassador” by the United States Information Agency as a teacher of master classes and solo performances in Canada, Singapore, Indonesia and China.

“Hal (Grossman) and I often collaborate in concert together,” Shames said. “And he asked me to join him in this wonderful piece, which is quite difficult, very French-sounding in style and extremely virtuosic for all the players.”

Shames and Grossman will collaborate on the performance of “Chausson Concerto in D Major for Violin, Piano and String Quartet, Op. 21,” one of the features of the concert.

Other pieces played in the concert will include “Haydn String Quartet in G minor, Op. 74, No. 3,” also known as “The Horseman,” and “Mendelssohn in E minor, Op. 44, No. 2.”

Shames said those attending the concert can expect a unique listening experience.

“The audience can look forward to hearing very lush harmonies and beautiful, soaring melodies,” Shames said. “Along with, or perhaps due to, the technical demands of the music, (there's) a lot of dramatic interplay between all of the instruments.”

The first stop for the tour will begin Jan. 18 at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Norman, which is located at 235 W. Duffy St. The concert, which will begin at 7 p.m., is free and open to the public. Additional concerts in Oklahoma will be held at Oklahoma State University in Stillwater on Jan. 19 and at Lorton Performance Center in Tulsa on Jan. 20.

Information for the later concerts can be found at the venues' respective websites, music.okstate.edu and utulsa.edu.