Sales, tips for holiday shopping, decorating on college budget in Norman

• 0
Christmas Tree

The Christmas tree after being lit during OU's Annual Holiday Lights at Burr Park Nov. 28.

The holiday season can be tricky on a college budget. Here are the best deals and tips for holiday decorating we found in the Norman area.

Holiday Decorating On A Budget:

1. Repurpose wrapping paper

After finishing up wrapping gifts, you can use the leftovers and scraps to create or add to Christmas decorations.

You can fold the paper into origami cranes for a dinner table centerpiece, make Christmas dinner nameplates or make faux-wrapped gifts under your Christmas tree.

2. Decorate with flameless candles

Fake candles can add a warm, rustic touch to Christmas decor and are cheaper than real candles. Faux candles can add a warm glow to any space, like on top of the mantle, the dining table, around the Christmas tree or on an office desk.

There are a lot of options in terms of height, style and size of flameless candles.

3. Throw blankets

Soft, simple throw blankets can carry the holiday spirit into your living room. Cheap options range from $15 to $30 at various local and online stores.

They can also be draped over office chairs or the foot of the bed to add a holiday touch. You can also add to the look with throw pillow covers that you can store when not in use.

Holiday Shopping on a Budget:

1. OKC Pop-Up Open House

Local shops in the OKC metro area are hosting a pop-up show complete with giveaways, treats and cocktails.

Shops like Blush and Tulips Home and Gift will be at the pop-up with deals and great gifts for the holiday season such as OU gear, warm weather accessories and boutique items.

The pop-up show will be from 5 to 10 p.m. Dec. 6 at NW 10th St., Oklahoma City. 

2. Christmas Expressions

Christmas Expressions is a local gift boutique that offers personalized gifts and unique Christmas trinkets. They have gifts and decorations for every budget, including ornaments, wreaths and other decor and gifts. Right now, all of their fleece blankets are 50 percent off.

Christmas Expressions is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. The store is located at 2214 W. Lindsey St.

3. Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is a popular spot for craft supplies, decorations, fabric and all sorts of niche items. Hobby Lobby often has deals on upcoming seasonal items, as well as various decor and craft supplies. All Christmas decor, trees, wrapping paper and crafts are currently 50 percent off at Hobby Lobby, and more deals can be found in their weekly ad.

Hobby Lobby is located at  2417 W. Main St.

More holiday deals and promo codes can be found on their website.

Promo: 40 percent off one item at regular price coupon at online or in-store checkout

4.  Target

Target is not only a grocery store, but a great spot for unique gifts and stylish Christmas decor. Target can be a little more expensive than other stores, but they are currently having holiday deals and promotions.

All Christmas trees are 30 percent off and 4-pack tree ornaments are $12. The weekly ad offers deals on not only decor, but other popular gifts for people of all ages like makeup, electronics and toys. Target is currently offering 30 percent off area rugs, barstools and media stands, as well as 30 percent off Target exclusive home brands.

Target is located at 1400 24th Ave. NW.