OU School of Musical Theatre hosts new freshmen showcase

• 0
Freshmen showcase

The OU Musical Theatre Freshmen Showcase will be at 7 p.m. Sept. 27.

OU School of Musical Theatre will put on the first annual freshmen showcase in order to highlight the talents of the school’s newest members.

The freshmen showcase is the first performance opportunity for the freshmen class of the school. The show will consist of a medley of popular songs from a wide variety of genres and styles of musicals such as, “You Will Be Found” from “Dear Evan Hansen” and “Tear Down the House” from “Memphis.”

Daveena Stratten, operations manager of the OU School of Musical Theatre, said the performance will include songs from both classical and modern musicals. She said there is dance choreography, as well as acting in the show.

“The freshmen showcase is an opportunity for our freshmen to perform and also work with one another as a class to kind of see how they all get along together,” Stratten said.

Stratten said the idea for the showcase came from the new director of the school Ashton Byrum, as a way to introduce freshmen to the world of musical theatre.

“It’s a great opportunity for them to display the reason why they are here and how talented they are as a class,” Stratten said.

The freshmen showcase will be at 7 p.m. on Sept. 27 in Pitman Recital Hall in Catlett Music Center. The performance is free and is open to the public.