OU School of Music to host concert featuring 2 faculty members

• 1
Faculty concert

OU faculty members Min-Jeong Koh and Stephanie Leon Shames will perform at the Catlett Music Center for a faculty concert Sept. 28.

OU’s School of Music will host an evening of classical music on Friday as a part of the School of Music’s faculty concert series.

The school periodically hosts free recitals to showcase its talented faculty. This recital will feature violinist Min-Jeong Koh, Ph.D., and pianist Stephanie Leon Shames.

Shames, an instructor of chamber music at OU, said she was looking forward to collaborating with Koh.

“We had wanted to play together,” Shames said. “We play here to share music with our students.”

Koh will perform J.S. Bach’s Partita for solo violin in D minor for the first half of the program. For the second half, Koh and Shames together will perform W.A. Mozart’s Sonata for violin and piano in B flat major and Edvard Grieg’s Sonata for violin and piano in C minor.

Koh, who has performed concerts internationally in addition to teaching at OU, said she felt inspired to create a program that would resonate with audience members. She has performed these pieces many times during her career and believes they are very accessible to people from all backgrounds.

“These pieces are able to connect us through the language of music,” Koh said.

The free recital is open to the public, and will begin at 8 p.m. on Sept. 28 in the Pitman Recital Hall of Catlett Music Center.

For more information, students should contact the OU School of Music at (405) 325-2081.