OU Latin Dance Club to host annual fiesta featuring professional performances

• 0
Latin Ball Fiesta

OU Latin Dance Club is hosting their 13th annual Latin Ball Fiesta Oct. 12 to 13.

OU Latin Dance Club is not just throwing a party from 9 p.m. Oct. 13 to 2 a.m. Oct. 14 in the Molly Shi Boren Ballroom in the Oklahoma Memorial Union — they are throwing a fiesta.

The 13th annual Latin Ball Fiesta will have a free Latin dance lesson at 9 p.m. for professionals and newbies alike. As the night progresses, there will be time for professional performances, music from DJ Andres on turntables and social dancing.

“Social dancing is a very important part of Latin culture because it brings people together,” said Ruth Cervantes, OU Latin Dance Club president. “It turns a room of strangers into friends.”

The OU Latin Dance Club attends social dances, performs choreographies and hosts parties and classes throughout the year. The club serves as a long-standing tradition of international awareness that promotes healthy activities for the community by teaching social partner dance, according to their Facebook page.

Among the professional performances will be Latin Fusion Bachata, Adelante Dance Team and 405 Rumba, according to the event’s flyer.

Although the professional performances will be entertaining, the real fun will come from the hours of social dance, which includes upbeat and exciting salsa music and smooth and romantic bachata music, Cervantes said.

“We obviously love it when a lot of people show up to the event because the more people, the more festive it feels,” Cervantes said. “The most important part of the event is that everyone is having a good time because the whole event would be for nothing if the people coming weren't having a good time while they're there.”

The Latin Ball Fiesta is free for students with an OU ID, though a $5 donation is encouraged, and $5 for non-students. Free food and drinks will be provided.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.