OU Homecoming Fall Choral Concert to feature 3 music groups, various genres

• 0
OU Choirs

OU’s Homecoming Fall Choral Concert will feature the University Chorale, the Men’s Glee Club and the Women’s Chorus in a performance of a variety of classical and popular music Oct. 25. 

Professor David Howard, associate director of choral activities, said not only does OU’s homecoming focus on traditions, such as the football game and parade, but it also highlights many other opportunities at the university, providing OU students and alumni the university experience through cultural events.

According to its website, the Men’s Glee Club is OU’s oldest musical ensemble on campus, which was started around the early 1900s. It is a group of men of all ages who sing a variety of musical pieces. These pieces range from literature and classical pieces to OU’s fight song. The choir performs regularly on and off campus for a variety of audiences.

The Women’s Chorus is comprised of both music and non-music majors. The choir performs classical pieces such as English and folk arrangements that exemplify the beauty of female voices blending together, according to its website.

The last ensemble to perform, University Chorale, will be a select group of men and women directed by Richard Zielinski, director of choral activities. The majority of these members have also participated in European choir tours with Zielinski, such as the Zielinski Singers Choir.  

The select ensemble will perform pieces ranging from Polish pieces to U.S. folk pieces. They will end the concert with popular theater pieces such as “Oklahoma!” from the musical “Oklahoma!” and “Impossible Dream” from “Man of La Mancha.”

“The text and message of the music is very relevant to today’s society,” Zielinski said. “It reminds us that we have a lot more in common than some people think. It promotes unity.”

These choral groups are open to music or non-music majors of any age and hold auditions during the first week of each semester.

“Our music is about America and represents the history of Oklahoma,” Zielinski said.

OU’s Homecoming Fall Choral Concert will be at 8 p.m. Oct. 25 in Sharp Concert Hall in the Catlett Music Center.

Admission for those who order tickets in advance is $5 for students with a student ID, $5 for seniors, military personnel and OU faculty and staff, $9 for adults and $10 at the door.