Oklahoma native Parker Millsap to perform free concert in OKC in September

• 0
Parker Millsap (copy)

Oklahoma native Parker Millsap poses for a photo. The alternative country artist will come to Oklahoma City in September to put on a free concert at Myriad Botanical Gardens.

Purcell native and alternative country artist Parker Millsap will continue his U.S. tour with a free show on Saturday, Sept. 29 in Oklahoma City, following a show in Tulsa the night before.

The 25-year-old is quickly making a name for himself through his captivating live performances, soulful sound and character-driven narratives, according to a press release. Some of his recent highlights include a network television debut on “Conan,” a performance with Sir Elton John at the Apple Music Fest in London, an Austin City Limits taping and an Americana Music Association nomination for Album of the Year.

“Last night in Atlanta I saw one of the best concerts I have ever seen ... It restored my faith in music,” John said in reference to a Millsap performance in the press release.

Millsap also received praise from The New York Times, The Boston Globe, L.A. Times, Austin Chronicle and Rolling Stone, as well as the Wall Street Journal, which in 2014 recognized him as “notably smart, sometimes acerbic, this charismatic new performer ... rivets audiences with intense but smooth vocal whoops, cascades and pauses; emotional, blues-based slide guitar with punctuating harmonica; and a sharp, compact band. If he’s doing all this at 21, what will he sound like at 30?”

The Oklahoma City show is open to all ages and will last from 7:30–10:30 p.m. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m. The night will kick off with Chase Kerby and The Villains, an Oklahoma-based indie, Americana rock band. Millsap will follow around 9 p.m.

A VIP experience is available for $35, which allows an attendee one drink for cocktail hour in the Meinders Terrace and front row-reserved area seating for the concert.

The Ad Astra Foundation-sponsored concert will be at the Myriad Botanical Gardens in the Devon Lawn and Bandshell at 301 W. Reno Ave.