Oklahoma football: Orlando Brown chats about his style, fashion aspirations

• 0
Orlando Brown

Junior offensive lineman Orlando Brown looks onto the field before the spring game April 8. Brown has become well-known for his fashion off the field.

When thinking of Oklahoma left tackle Orlando Brown, the first thing that may come to mind are his skills on the football field. What you don't know, though, is that the 6-foot-8, 345-pound Brown has a passion for fashion — especially for those who are “big and tall” like him. The Daily's resident fashion expert Robyn Craig sat down with Brown to discuss his personal style.

Q: Who introduced you to the fashion world?

A: Well, Jammal Brown. I mean obviously he played a pretty important part of my life — you know where I’m at. One of the things when I was younger, you know, I always kind of been into clothes, but obviously me being my size, it’s kind of hard and just to learn how to shop and where to shop. What looks good and what doesn’t look good. So he kind of introduced me to that.

Q: Do you have any fashion commandments you follow?

A: Honestly, not really. What I wear is basically based off emotions. How I wake up that morning and what the weather is. So I mean I don’t really have anything that I stick to. I mean I’m not a fan of mixing up dark blues, but that’s about it.

Q: Would you ever consider starting your own fashion line?

A: Yeah, absolutely. You know, kind of what I want to do at the next level. I just feel like there isn’t a face for “big and tall” — they always use taller skinny people or ... if they are big, they’re too big and not tall. I definitely could see myself starting something.

Q: What would be some of your first pieces?

A: I really would kind of go into a different look I guess as far as, I mean I don’t want to say military surplus, but kind of just — I’m really into fur. I feel like different types of shirts and different types of jackets whether that be camo jackets or kind of like a Siberian general jacket, I think. I don’t know. But I’d really be into probably some type of fur, fur on shirts. Something like that.

Q: Do you have any fashion icons you look up to?

A: Aw man, gosh, it’s weird. I’m a fan of Cam Newton, I like what Russell Westbrook does, a little bit of LeBron (James). For color combinations I feel as if he does a really good job of that. Deion Sanders, kind of his older swag is something that I pay attention to, and also Jammal. Yep, those people.

Q: Do you have any fashion tips for the readers?

A: Be yourself. Be yourself and let your emotions make the decisions.

More from The Daily on Brown’s style can be found here.