Oklahoma Film Society to hold free festival, showcase local filmmakers in 3 OKC venues

• 0
Oklahoma Film Fest

The Oklahoma Film Society is hosting Oklahoma Film Fest from Dec. 13 to 15.

The Oklahoma Film Society will host its first free film festival Dec. 13 through 15 in Oklahoma City’s historic film row.

The long-running film exhibition group hopes to make this an annual festival to celebrate Oklahoma filmmakers. 

The Paramount Room will show the first film, “The Grave” by Emmy-award winning director Kyle Roberts, on Dec. 13. “The Grave,” which took Roberts around two years to film, is a story of an unexpected hero in 1920s Oklahoma City who defends the innocent from those who believe they are above the law. This film was an official selection of the 2018 deadCenter Film Festival, according to The Oklahoman.

Following “The Grave” will be a showing of “Strike, Dear Mistress, and Cure His Heart” by director Mickey Reece. This film, which won Best Oklahoma Film at the Tulsa American Film Festival this year, focuses on a mother/daughter dynamic that infects the daughter's love with her recently acquired husband. Doors will open at 7 p.m., with “The Grave” beginning at 7:30 p.m. and “Strike, Dear Mistress, and Cure His Heart” at 8 p.m., according to a press release. 

The festival will continue at The Paramount Room with a screening of “The Jurassic Games” on Dec. 14. From director Ryan Bellgardt, “The Jurassic Games” happen when 10 death row inmates compete in a virtual reality game for freedom, except death in the game results in death in real life. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the showing begins at 7:30 p.m., according to the release. 

The festival will conclude Dec. 15 with two showings at different venues.

“Mono,” a collection of short films by five Oklahoma directors, will show at 2:30 p.m. at Artspace at Untitled. Directed by Cait Brasel, Jacob Leighton Burns, John Burton, Laron Chapman and Mickey Reece, the individual short films come together through one central character, played by actress Lindsay Fritts, according to the Oklahoma Gazette. Doors open at 2 p.m., according to the release. 

The final film will be “You People,” directed by Laron Chapman, with a screening at 7:30 p.m. at 21c Museum Hotel. Chapman’s film centers around the identity crisis of a black college student who has been adopted into a caucasian family.

“You People” was named the Best Oklahoma Feature at the 2018 deadCenter Film Festival. The deadCenter Film Festival is Oklahoma’s biggest film festival, with over 30,000 attending yearly, according to The Oklahoman.

A Q&A with the director will be held after each film showing. Following the Q&A with Chapman for “You People,” awards will be allocated to the best films at a ceremony.

Throughout the screenings, unannounced premiers of new footage from local filmmakers will be shown, according to the release. 

The Oklahoma Film Fest will run Dec. 13 through 15 at The Paramount Room, Artspace at Untitled and 21c Hotel Museum. Admission is free and open to the public.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.