Norman postpones Christmas Holiday Parade due to inclement weather

• 1
Norman Christmas Parade (copy)

The Main Street Christmas Holiday Parade has been rescheduled for next week.

Norman’s annual Christmas Holiday Parade has been rescheduled for next week due to inclement weather.

The parade, which was originally scheduled for Dec. 8, has been postponed to Dec. 15, said Caleb Slinkard, parade committee member and editor of the Norman Transcript.

The parade is an annual event hosted by a nonprofit committee of local individuals, involving floats, Christmas music and announcements from Slinkard on the main stage in front of Kidoodle’s Toy Zone on Main Street, Slinkard said.

The parade will begin in the Norman High School parking lot and continue down Main Street toward Crawford Street. It will feature parade grand marshals, Joe and Lynne Siano, as well as an appearance by Santa Claus in a horse-drawn sleigh and 75 participant floats, Slinkard said.

This is the second year in a row the parade has been held in the evening, setting the theme of “Merry and Bright in Lights!” Lights will be strung across downtown Norman, and the floats will be decorated with lights in conjunction with the theme, Slinkard said.

Starting at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 15, downtown Norman will be closed for the parade from Pickard and Main streets to Crawford and Main streets, including all cross-streets in the area. The streets should be reopened by 7:30 p.m., Slinkard said.

The parade is scheduled for 6 p.m., Dec. 15.

Culture editor

Abigail Hall is a journalism senior and culture editor at The Daily. She previously worked as the culture assistant editor and arts & entertainment reporter.