Healthy foods to snack on during finals week

• 1
Nuts

Nuts are essential for brain development, and eating them can help with finals.

Between final exams, papers, presentations and maintaining the will to finish the semester strong, students often forget to eat right to aid their study sessions.

While grabbing fast food or forgetting to eat might work easier with a busy schedule, those aiming for high grades this finals season need to reach for nutrient-rich foods that help the body and the brain.

These brain food snacks help your memory and productivity, helping you to get that desirable grade in a healthy way:

• Nuts. Any kind will work. Almonds are high in calcium, cashews are rich in iron, and peanuts have high amounts of folic acid, which are essential for brain development. Where to get it? The Union Market, Starbucks or any grocery store.

• Chips and salsa. Wait — chips and salsa? That’s right. The delicious pregame for every Mexican meal is full of nutritional value. Salsa of any temperature is low-calorie, contains potassium, vitamin C and plenty of hydration — plus, the spicier it gets, the more water the body craves. Where to get it? Get it to-go from Fuzzy’s, visit a local restaurant like The Mont or Tarahumara’s or swing by any grocery store.

• Fruit. An apple a day keeps the bad grades away, and so do blueberries and grapes, which promote memory retention and provide hydration, according to Healthline. Where to get it? The Union Market or any grocery store.

• Pita chips or veggies with hummus. Whole grain pita chips and hummus are great carbs that provide energy, and vegetables like broccoli and carrots give the body vitamin K, which enhances cognitive function. Where to get it? The Union Market, The Laughing Tomato or any grocery store.

• WATER. Perhaps the most overlooked practice of them all. While coffee is delicious and a sure-fire way to get energy for late night studying, coffee can dehydrate your body while speeding up your brain, causing you to be more worn out after the effects die down. Instead, ask for a green tea. Hot or iced, green tea contains the amino acid L-theanine that sustains energy without jitters. The International Chair for Advanced Studies on Hydration said dehydration directly impacts short-term memory retention as well as lower levels of concentration. Drinking water throughout the day, not only during studying, will allow for the body to function at its best. This means the more you sip, the higher the chances are of being successful on that project, test or paper. Where to get it? Green tea is at every Starbucks and most coffee shops. Water is fortunately available everywhere on campus. Drink up!

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.