Harpeth Rising to close Norman's Summer Breeze Concert Series with free performance

• 0
Harpeth Rising

Harpeth Rising is closing the Summer Breeze Concert Series at 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 26 in Norman’s Lions Park. The event is open to the public.

The Depot in Norman will wrap up its Summer Breeze Concert Series with a performance by Harpeth Rising, the “member’s choice” band of last year’s Winter Wind Concert.

According to their website, Harpeth Rising plays a blend of folk, newgrass, rock and classical music called Chamberfolk, which is “lyrically rooted in the singer/songwriter tradition, and wrapped in three-part vocal harmonies reminiscent of both Appalachia and Medieval Europe.”

The band is comprised of three members: Maria Di Meglio on cello, Jordana Greenberg on violin and Michelle Younger on banjo. The three studied at some of the most prestigious classical music schools in the country, including the Eastman School of Music. All have grown up playing their own blend of music, and Harpeth Rising joins together each of their styles into one cohesive sound.

“Our music is a fusion of several genres and inspirations,” Greenberg said. “It comes from all the different music we’ve listened to throughout our lives. We’re creating something original and new, so it’s a combination of our three different perspectives that end up making our music sound the way it does.”

Greenberg said the band had not performed in Oklahoma before coming to Norman for the Winter Wind Concert Series last year. She said the atmosphere of the town made the band feel right at home.

“We had a really love time,” Greenberg said. “There was some irony to it being called Winter Wind, because it was a very warm day when we were there.”

Harpeth Rising’s three albums, “The End of the World,” “Shifted” and their recent “Against All Tides,” are available on their SoundCloud. For updates on future shows and albums, follow them on Twitter or Instagram.

The concert will be 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 26 in Norman’s Lions Park. The event is open to the public, and concert-goers are encouraged to bring blankets, chairs and picnics to the family-friendly evening.