Halloween in Norman: Holiday guide gives costume tips, spooky event suggestions

• 1
Pumpkin

Spooky season is here! From pumpkin spice lattes to pumpkin patches, the season is already in full swing in Norman and the Oklahoma City metro. 

With the spookiest holiday of the year only days away, The Daily’s Halloween guide can help one find the perfect costume on a tight budget and the best holiday events.

Where to find costumes and decorations:

1. Spirit Halloween

Spirit Halloween offers the widest selection of Halloween costumes in town. Its website makes shopping quick and easy by fitting all costumes into categories such as astronauts, steampunk and ninjas. The adult animals and insects category alone has 64 different options.

The site also enables customers to create their own costumes by mixing and matching pieces from different costumes and categories, so you don’t show up to a Halloween party wearing the same costume as another guest.

Spirit Halloween is located in the Sooner Mall at 3301 W. Main St., near Dillard’s and Chick-fil-A. It is open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 6 p.m. on Sunday.

Promo: Online shoppers can use the code DONTGO18 at checkout to receive 25 percent off a single item.

2. Party Galaxy

While the costume selection isn’t as expansive as that of its competitors, Party Galaxy has lower prices and the largest selection of Halloween decorations, party supplies and decor in Norman. Some of its top deals for Halloween include buy one, get one 50 percent off big party packs; buy one, get one 40 percent off bagged candy; three for $12 scary hanging props and buy two, get one free tombstones.

Party Galaxy is located at 2270 W. Main St. It is open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday, and 8 a.m. to 11 p.m on Sunday.

Promo: For 20 percent off an order and free shipping, enter the code SCARE20 at checkout.

3. Halloween City

Halloween City has a sweeping selection of costumes, decorations, wigs and accessories to complete your Halloween haul. It has dozens of themed costumes including "Jurassic World" and "Star Wars," as well as superheroes and group costumes, such as the characters from "Stranger Things" and "The Incredibles 2."

Halloween City is located at 560 Ed Noble Parkway. The hours are 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday through Monday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday.

Spooky Halloween Events

After picking out the perfect costume, one will want somewhere to show it off. Here are some exciting events in and around Norman to check out:

1. Haunt the Zoo: All Grown Up!

When: 7 p.m. to midnight on Oct. 26.

Where: Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden, located at 2101 NE 50th St. in Oklahoma City.

What: Haunt the Zoo's All Grown Up event is a 21-and-older Halloween party featuring dancing, drinks, games and prizes, a tour inside the zoo's haunted herpetarium, a take-home trick-or-treat bag and more. General admission tickets are $24 and all proceeds fund the OKC Zoo’s ongoing education and conservation programs.

Games and activities will include: The wall of weird, fishin’ for fortune sponsored by Tinker Federal Credit Union, COOP Ale Works ring toss, haunted herpetarium, dancing, food trucks, drinks and prizes.

Tickets can be purchased online now until 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 and include admission and a take-home goodie bag. Drinks and food are available for purchase. All attendees must be 21 and up and bring a photo ID at check-in. Tickets nonrefundable.

2. Pipescreams!

When: 11 p.m. Oct. 31. 

Where: Catlett Music Center, located at 500 W. Boyd St.

What: Pipescreams! is a free Halloween holiday concert of scary organ music presented by the American Organ Institute at the OU School of Music. Attendees are encouraged to wear costumes and come and go as they wish. The concert is informal and family-friendly.   

3. Jax Asks: Harry Potter

When: 9-11 p.m. Oct. 24.

Where: Blackbird Gastropub, 575 S. University Blvd.

What: Enjoy Harry Potter-themed trivia at Blackbird and enter to win gift certificates and prizes. If an entire team dresses up, they will receive five extra points. First place will receive a $25 gift certificate, second place will get a $15 gift certificate and third place will get a miscellaneous prize. There is no entry fee and each team can have 1 to 5 members. No cellphones are allowed and participants must be at least 18 to participate.

4. Trick ORR Treat

When: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Oct. 27.

Where: Orr Family Farm, 14400 S. Western Ave., Oklahoma City

What: The annual fall festival at the Orr Family Farm features trick or treating and festival activities such as s’more making by the fire and a fall maze.

Once the sun goes down, “Farm After Dark” will offer visitors various attractions such as a zip-line in the dark and zombie apocalypse paintball, with a firework display at 9 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased online and cost $11.95 for a general admission weekday pass or $15.95 on the weekends.