Fowler Volkswagen of Norman releases 8th annual Christmas album

• 0
Fowler Volkswagen Christmas

Fowler Volkswagen of Norman released its 8th annual Christmas album, “Sounds of the Season: A Blackwatch Christmas, Volume 8.” on Nov. 23 for Black Friday.

After seven years of seasonal records, the Fowler Volkswagen of Norman released its 8th annual Christmas album, “Sounds of the Season: A Blackwatch Christmas, Volume 8.”

The album was released on Nov. 23 for Black Friday.

Fowler Volkswagen has produced eight holiday albums with Norman-based Blackwatch Studios. This collaboration was initiated by Jonathan Fowler, president of Fowler Volkswagen and a supporter of local music, said Kristen Vails, director of community outreach at Fowler Holding Company.

Fowler was also a big part of launching Norman Music Festival, Vails said.

“Opening a new store, (Fowler) didn’t have a budget for traditional advertising, so he relied on community sponsorship and involvement to spread the word about the business,” Vails said. “An avid collector of vinyl himself, he and his marketing team came up with the idea to make Oklahoma the ‘independent music capital of the world’ by releasing original Christmas music by Oklahoma artists each year.”

The record features nine songs, all performed by Oklahoma musicians. Side A of the vinyl plays “Christmas in Hollywood” by Sports, “Dark and Stormy Christmas” by Beau Jennings, “Filthy Animal” by Chair Model, “Holiday High” by Duke Luther and “Sasha Don’t Take My Toys Away” by Swim Fan.

Beau Jennings said his sentiment for “Dark and Stormy Christmas” was a sort of “lonesome, haunted cowboy spirit,” in a press release.

“I was trying to extract that feeling of, ‘I know there’s some magic to Christmas 'cause I’ve felt it before, but it’s sure gone now so I gotta go look for it again,’” Jennings said in the release.

The record includes both covers and original songs. Side B features “Single Star” by Spaceface, “Melt Away” by Hot Cider, “Right Here” by Day Drinker and “In Dulci Jubilo” or “In Sweet Rejoicing” by James McAllister.

For many artists, Christmas records are a time to let loose and create something fun, and “Sounds of the Season” is no different, Vails said.

Taylor Johnson, a member of Chair Model, said in the release his inspiration for “Filthy Animal” came straight from the 1990 holiday classic “Home Alone,” as a chance to bring some nostalgia to ‘80s and ‘90s kids.

“The record allows for artists to be creative, playful or do something different than they usually do,” Vails said. “For Fowler, it’s just a great opportunity to get our name out there for doing something different. We love supporting the arts. For some, traditional Christmas music can be overplayed, so we hope the record brings some freshness to the season.”

A limited edition vinyl copy was made available at Guestroom Records in Norman and Oklahoma City on Black Friday.

Vinyl copies are available at Guestroom as well as at the Fowler dealership, located at 617 N. Interstate Dr.

The album is available as a digital download online, to accompany the seven previous albums, as well as on Spotify.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.