Creative pumpkin carving is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Halloween season. Unfortunately, carved-pumpkin creations are quick to mold and rot. Here is one home remedy to keep your pumpkin in pristine condition.
To start, it is important to note that no matter what solution is being used, to coat the surface and insides of the pumpkin very thoroughly. If one portion is left untreated, rotting and mold could still grow and spread to other areas.
The easiest and most effective way to treat a pumpkin is by simply using three common household products: bleach, Vaseline and borax.
The bleach should be carefully coated across all surfaces of the pumpkin in or to kill the bacteria that would normally cause rotting. Remember to get the mouth and eyeholes, as well!
After the bleach has somewhat dried, Vaseline should be applied to the interior of the pumpkin to prevent further drying, for this can be an undesirable aftereffect if this step is not taken.
For an optional last step, borax can be placed on the inside surfaces post Vaseline. This helps to ward off any bugs that may still find their way in.
And that's all it takes! Keep those jack-o'-lanterns looking strong with these simple steps. Visit chemistry.about.com for more pumpkin preserving ideas.