Coldplay's new album goes back to their signature sound

• 0
Coldplay's "A Head Full of Dreams"

The album cover for Coldplay's "A Head Full of Dreams"

This Friday, Coldplay released their seventh studio album "A Head Full of Dreams." The album is exactly what you would expect from Coldplay.

Coming off of 2014’s "Ghost Stories," this album marks a new lyrical direction for the band. "Ghost Stories" was definitely a breakup album, coming right after lead singer Chris Martin divorced actress Gwyneth Paltrow, which was met with wide ridicule after Paltrow described the event as a “conscious uncoupling."

"A Head Full of Dreams" sees Coldplay’s return to their more upbeat pop rock style, with some songs that reflect the hopefulness of moving on in life and others that dwell on the sadness that events like divorce can bring.

The clear standout song on the album is “Hymn For The Weekend” which features an uncredited Beyonce vocal. The song is a triumphantly positive song. Martin and Beyonce’s vocals blend seamlessly when they harmonize. While the decision to use Beyonce primarily as a backup singer is definitely questionable, the song is still fantastic. It’s one to sing with your friends as you’re getting ready to go out on a Friday night. “Hymn For The Weekend” is Coldplay’s contribution to the party song genre, and it fits right in.

The other song on the album that’s sure to get a lot of attention is “Everglow” which features Paltrow’s vocals and is sure to be much analyzed. Martin told Zane Lowe that the song is “after you’ve been through the sadness of something, you also get this everglow,” which makes the song so much more tempting for celebrity gossip sources.

That’s unfortunate because the album has much more interesting songs to focus on, like the Tove Lo collaboration “Fun” or the title track, which are both solid songs.

However, the album has its weak moments. “Kaleidoscope” is a one minute long interlude that is one minute too long, featuring a clip of Barack Obama singing “Amazing Grace” as well as poet Coleman Barks, who reads a translation of a Rumi poem “The Guest House.” This interlude alone will give Coldplay haters an endless punchline, but the strangeness of the one song should not detract from the album as a whole. The song “X Marks the Spot” is similarly out of place. The rest of the album is fairly cohesive, but those two tracks just don’t gel with the rest of the album. However, the good on the album far outweighs the strange.

Martin has been very vague when discussing this album. Also in a conversation with Zane Lowe, Martin remarked that the album was “a completion of something” and compared it to the seventh "Harry Potter" book. Whether Coldplay is going to continue releasing music has yet to be announced, but fans are certainly on the edge of their seats.

The band has decided not to stream the album on Spotify as of yet, choosing instead to only release it for streaming on Apple Music. People might consider getting to know this album, as Coldplay will probably play some of the songs for the Super Bowl halftime show.