Women's College World Series: What Patty Gasso said after Oklahoma's 5-4 WCWS championship loss to UCLA

• 0
Gasso

Head coach Patty Gasso coaches in the game against UCLA for the national championship June 3.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma lost to UCLA, 5-4, in game two of the Women's College World Series championship on a walk-off RBI single from Kinsley Washington. It ended the Sooners' season and gave UCLA its 13th national title in program history.

Here's what Oklahoma coach Patty Gasso said after the defeat:

On how she's proud of her team 

The Sooners are just one game removed from the most lopsided WCWS championship loss in the history of championship series history. Game two ended up being a nail-biter, going down to the last inning. The Sooners fought well, and although the result was a loss, the fight is all that matters to Gasso.

"I don't think words can express it. We had probably, as you know, one of the worst games that we've ever played. To come back the way that we did, I couldn't be more proud of this group."

On her respect for UCLA 

The Bruins won the program's 13th national championship. It's UCLA head coach Kelly Inouye-Perez's second UCLA title with her at the helm of the program. Four UCLA players made the all-tournament team, including Bruins ace Rachel Garcia, who earned the WCWS Most Outstanding Player award. UCLA brought game this year, and it was enough to top No. 1 Oklahoma. 

"They fought their tails off. We played an unbelievable, outstanding team. They are solid top to bottom in their lineup. They got a phenomenal pitcher on the mound. They're very well-coached. It was tough.

"They're on a mission. We're on a mission. But what we did today I'll never forget."

On senior Shay Knighten's game-tying home run in the seventh inning

The Bruins were just one out away from winning the Women's College World Series without having to go into the bottom of the seventh inning. Knighten ended that thought with a solo home run to tie the game at 4-4.

"I know I got very animated. I was fired up. I don't really show too much emotion, but I think I went off on that one."

"It was a pleasure to do it. I don't know, everybody kind of knows what Shay has gone through in her career. If it could have happened to someone that deserves it, she's been a star on this stage. Just understanding what these seniors have done, absolutely crazy. They won as freshmen. They won as sophomores, the national championship. They finished fourth as juniors. They were one hit away from potentially winning it again."

On the 2019 senior class

"This is the best senior class we've ever had. It's very evident, every single one of them here. Besides that, just the way they share their hearts. You hear them praising God, you might go, 'Oh, jeez, really?' It's on their heart. It's what they do. It's what we do."