Women's College World Series: UCLA beats Sooners in 2019 Women's College World Series with walk-off RBI single

• 0
Sad sooners

The Sooners gather on the first baseline after losing to UCLA June 4.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Senior Shay Knighten's two-out solo home run in the top of the seventh inning gave the Sooners hope of a game three. UCLA's Kinsley Washington took it away with one swing of her bat.

Washington's RBI single pushed UCLA to win the 2019 Women's College World Series against Oklahoma in game two with a score of 5-4.

It wasn’t a rout, and the Sooners had some good looks in a close ballgame. But UCLA proved to be too much for Oklahoma. The Bruins started the scoring early. A leadoff home run from Bubba Nickles and a shot from Briana Perez right afterward put UCLA up 2-0 going into the second inning.

UCLA and Oklahoma traded third inning home runs with a solo shot from senior third baseman Sydney Romero and a leadoff home run in the bottom of the inning from the Bruins’ Aaliyah Jordan to make the score 3-1 going into the fourth.

Senior outfielder Falepolima Aviu, who up until that point remained hitless in the championship series, scored senior center fielder Nicole Mendes — who singled and stole second base — with an RBI single to make the score 3-2. Sophomore catcher Lynnsie Elam hit an RBI double to score pinch runner Raegan Rogers to tie the game at 3-3.

A scoreless fifth inning from the Sooners left Aviu and Mendes stranded on first and second respectively, and UCLA’s Brianna Tautalafua hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the inning.

Knighten's home run came up clutch. The Bruins were just one out away from the clinch when Knighten sent the ball into the center left field stands to tie the game, 4-4, and sending the inning into the bottom half.

UCLA's Colleen Sullivan got on base on a fielder's choice, Jacui Prober entered the game to pinch run for Sullivan and Washington's bat did the rest. The Sooners finished the season with a 57-6 record. UCLA now has 12 WCWS championships with the win.