Women's College World Series: Sooners overcome Alabama, 3-2, will face Oklahoma State in winner's bracket

• 0
Mendes

Junior utility Nicole Mendes runs to first base in the game against Northwestern May 25.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Sooners are one step closer.

Oklahoma overcame Alabama, 3-2, after Junior outfielder Nicole Mendes hit in the winning run with a two-out RBI triple to score senior Raegan Rogers in the bottom of the sixth inning.

The scoring started with senior third baseman Sydney Romero, who was able to single after hitting the ball in the perfect spot, avoiding two defenders in shallow right field. Senior infielder Caleigh Clifton was able to score Romero with a sacrifice fly to center field to tally the first run.

Romero went on to hit a leadoff triple in the bottom of the third inning, and would later be scored by sophomore Jocelyn Alo’s RBI single. It was 2-0 Sooners going into the fourth inning.

Junior pitcher Giselle Juarez pitched the entire game, tallying 9 strikeouts while allowing two runs while showing some discomfort against the Crimson Tide offense.

Juarez allowed a run in the top of the third inning after Alabama’s Claire Jenkins reached home from Bailey Hemphill’s RBI single that went over Clifton’s head in shallow right field. Juarez racked up two strikeouts in the third inning while leaving two runners on base.

Jenkins tied the game up for the Crimson Tide in the top of the fifth inning with a leadoff home run. More trouble ensued with a throwing error from Romero that advanced a runner on second, but Juarez left the half inning with two strikeouts.

Juarez stayed in the game anyway and kept her confidence. She ended the game with a strikeout, and the Sooners are onto Bedlam part two.

The Sooners will play at 8:30 p.m. CT on Friday, May 31, against Oklahoma State in the winner’s bracket.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.