Women's College World Series: Sooners beat Oklahoma State, 6-1

• 0
Romero

Senior infielder Sydney Romero runs to third base in the game against Alabama May 30.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Sooners' bats created runs early and a series of late inning manufactured scoring gave way for more insurance runs on Friday night in Oklahoma's 6-1 victory over Oklahoma State in the Women’s College World Series. Oklahoma is one win away from clinching a spot in the WCWS Championship Finals.

The Sooners were able to work with Oklahoma State ace Samantha Show’s pitches early. Senior outfielder Falepolima Aviu started the top of the first inning with a one-out double and senior second baseman Caleigh Clifton got on base with a walk. Both seniors advanced on wild pitches, and sophomore outfielder Jocelyn Alo scored both runners with an RBI single. Senior Shay Knighten scored Alo on an RBI single to score the final run of the inning, and the Sooners were up 3-0.

Junior pitcher Giselle Juarez allowed a leadoff walk and an RBI single from Oklahoma State’s Michaela Richbourg to make the score 3-1 going into the top of the second. But the left-hander was able to play lights-out for the rest of the game, finishing with 11 strikeouts while only allowing four hits.

Junior right-hander Shannon Saile came in the seventh inning to relieve Juarez to get the final three outs, tallying two strikeouts.

In the top of the sixth inning, the Sooners were able to generate three insurance runs with two walks and a hit-by-pitch with the bases loaded to make the score 6-1 going into the bottom of the inning. 

The Sooners will play at 2:30 p.m. CT on Sunday, June 2, against an opponent that will be revealed with Saturday's game 10 result.