Sharane Campbell shines in Sooners' upset over OSU - OUDaily.com: Sports

• May 6, 2016
  • Sharane Campbell shines in Sooners' upset over OSU

Print
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:17 pm

Head coach Sherri Coale saw it happen Monday night for Lon Kruger’s team. Little did she know, the same result would happen for her squad Saturday afternoon.

Oklahoma (14-8, 5-4) upset No. 11 Oklahoma State 81-74 in front of a season high 8,521 electric fans. The win extends OU’s home winning streak over the Cowgirls to 16, dating back to 1998.

Senior guard Sharane Campbell had a game-high 28 points on 8-13 shooting and was a perfect 11-of-11 from the free throw line. Campbell also grabbed eight boards in her 34 minutes.

“I was just having fun with my teammates,” Campbell said. “We won and I had fun. That’s the goal. We want to play together and trust each other and just win.”

Coale noted after the game how crucial Campbell’s performance was and said that her being an Oklahoma native gave her even more motivation.

“She loves Bedlam,” Coale said. “There is just something special about being born and raised in this state and playing in that rivalry and you can see it. Sharane was engaged from the very beginning in all phases. She was just everywhere. She was immersed.”

Oklahoma State (18-3, 7-3) was led by senior guard Tiffany Bias who scored a team-high 18 points. Four Cowgirls scored in double figures including Kendra Suttles’ double-double effort with 13 points and 10 boards.

In the first half, the Cowgirls were always one step ahead of Oklahoma. Any small run the Sooners had, Oklahoma State withstood it and maintained its lead.

The second half, however, was much different.

Oklahoma came out guns blazing, specifically from Nicole Griffin. After only scoring four points in the first half, the senior rattled off 10 points in the second to finish with 14. But it was her defensive presence that made a difference.

Griffin’s double-double came in addition to her six blocks on the night, a game-high.

Aaryn Ellenberg, the usual catalyst and sharpshooter for the Sooners, was shut down on the afternoon. The Las Vegas native scored just 10 points and dished out a mere two assists.

Her 10 points however, gave her enough to pass Molly McGuire for third on Oklahoma’s career scoring list and matched former Iowa State Cyclone Angie Welle for tenth on the all-time scoring list for the Big 12.

“I think this [win] can be a turning point for the season and we can shock the world,” senior guard Morgan Hook said. “This is a big weekend for us and if we can come out and play like we did tonight with a lot of energy then I think we have a great shot.”

For Oklahoma, things do not get easier. Monday night, the Sooners host No. 9 Baylor, arguably the best team in the Big 12. Tipoff is set for 6:00 p.m. inside Lloyd Noble Center. 

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
    • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
    • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
    • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
    • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
    • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook