Rapid Reaction: Sooners split games on Sunday - OUDaily.com: Sports

• May 7, 2015
  • Rapid Reaction: Sooners split games on Sunday

Print
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:41 pm | Updated: 10:14 am, Thu Jul 17, 2014.

How the Sooners lost their first game: Oklahoma’s first game today came against No. 3 Washington, yet another early-season measuring stick for this young Sooners team. Unfortunately, Oklahoma came up short. Kelsey Stevens and Taylor Dewbery combined to hold the Huskies to just three runs, but the offense could only muster a single run.

How the Sooners won their second game: Oklahoma scored two runs in the first, two in the third, and one in the fifth, and two in the seventh en route to a victory over Michigan State. Georgia Casey held the Spartans offense in check until the seventh, when they broke out with five hits and six runs in the final frame. Then, the Sooners got a leadoff walk from Casey to get things started. Sophomore Erin Miller put down a sacrifice bunt to move Casey to second. Following an intentional walk to Lauren Chamberlain, Shelby Pendley hit a walk-off double to left field to win the game 7-6.

Key Sooner: Brittany Williams drove in five runs for the Sooners against Michigan State, going 2-3 at the plate. The senior redeemed herself after going 0-2 with two strike outs against Washington.

Key Opponent: Huskies starter Bryana Walker struck out 14 Sooners and only permitted three hits en route to another win for Washington. The only run that she allowed came in the second inning, when Pendley scored on an error by the shortstop.

Key Stat: The Sooners have yet to lose a game this season when scoring at least five runs, and have won just once when scoring fewer than five. While that’s not too surprising, it does indicate that Oklahoma’s offense is more to blame for the early season struggles than the pitching staff. It’s hard to win when the offense isn’t scoring more than two runs per game, which is something that the Sooners have done in four of its ten games so far.

What it means: Oklahoma went 3-2 in the Littlewood classic, winning the games that they were supposed to win and losing the games that they were supposed to lose. Going into the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic next weekend, Oklahoma won’t see any top five teams like it did this weekend with Arizona State and Washington. However, they wont’ see anybody like SIU Edwardsville, either.

What’s next: Oklahoma is off until next Thursday, when the Sooners will square off with Boise State and Oregon State in Palm Springs. Then on Friday they will see Northwestern and UCLA before playing Syracuse on Saturday.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
    • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
    • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
    • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
    • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
    • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook