Rapid Reaction: Men's Gymnastics claims MPSF championship - OUDaily.com: Sports

• March 27, 2015
  • Rapid Reaction: Men's Gymnastics claims MPSF championship

Print
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:49 pm | Updated: 10:21 am, Thu Jul 17, 2014.

No. 1 Oklahoma defeated Stanford, California, and Air Force today to win the MPSF Conference Championship posting a 446.100.

How the Sooners Won: After a couple of falls on high bar to start the meet of, Oklahoma recovered well and performed solid routines on the following events. The Sooners came out in full force on still rings. Squires scoring a 16.300 created momentum for the team as they continued on to vault.

Key Stat: Michael Squires, still rings event specialist, came through for the Sooners once again. Squires not only posted his career high on rings, but also broke the Oklahoma record on the event with a 16.300. Danny Berardini also set a career high in today’s meet with a 15.1 on rings.

Key Sooner: The entire team. It is hard to name a specific Sooner, rather the entire team as a whole fed off of one another. Michael Squires’ record setting performance on still rings was truly impressive. The team fed off of the momentum he created and continued to put up strong numbers the remainder of the meet. The chemistry of the squad is incredibly evident when you watch them compete event to event. It was a true team effort today in McCasland Field House.

What it means: For the third straight year, Oklahoma claims the MPSF Conference Championship title. This title not only brings the bragging rights of being the conference champions but also is a major factor going into NCAA’s. The Sooners had some very strong performances today and most importantly did not let a miss effect them, a crucial component as the Sooners move on to NCAA’s.

What is next: The Sooners will anxiously await their NCAA seeding which will no doubt be strongly determined by their performance today at McCasland Field House. NCAA competition begins on April 10.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
    • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
    • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
    • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
    • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
    • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook