OU women's basketball: Sooners to play UConn in Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Showcase

• 0
Sherri Coale

Head coach Sherri Coale yells at a referee in the game against Baylor on Jan. 27.

The Sooners will play against UConn on Dec. 22 in the sixth annual Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut, according to an announcement by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Thursday.

The matchup will be the third of a four-game series between the two programs. The two programs faced off in the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase two years ago, an 88-64 Huskies win that gave UConn coach Geno Auriemma his 1,000th career win. In last year’s matchup, a young Sooners squad led Auriemma’s Huskies for over 30 minutes of game time before falling 72-63.

"We have immense respect for UConn and look forward to the opportunity to compete against their program for the third straight season,” Oklahoma head coach Sherri Coale said in a press release. “The Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Showcase presents an outstanding opportunity for our team, but as well for women's basketball fans to see top-tier programs compete against one another in a fantastic environment."

The Huskies have been a powerhouse over the last decade, winning six national championships and have made a trip to the Final Four in each of their last 12 seasons. Last season, UConn fell in the final four to Notre Dame 81-76.

Meanwhile, the Sooners missed their first NCAA tournament appearance in 19 seasons after going 8-22 behind one of the youngest teams in the country.  All five of the Sooner’s starters will return from last season, including junior guard Ana Llanusa who was an All-Big 12 second team pick in 2019 and sophomore guard Taylor Robertson, who broke Oklahoma’s single-season freshman 3-point record.

The showcase will also feature a double header with Michigan and Florida State. Game times and television details have yet to be released.