OU women’s basketball: Sooners defeat Texas Tech, 75-74, on road for 1st Big 12 win

• 0
Taylor Robertson

Then-sophomore guard Taylor Robertson looks for a pass Feb. 26, 2020.

In their first conference win of the season, the Sooners (4-5, 1-3 Big 12) beat Texas Tech (6-4, 1-3 Big 12), 75-74, in a last-minute rally from behind Wednesday night in Lubbock, Texas.

Immediately down 5-0, the Sooners turned to junior guard Taylor Robertson to sink two 3-pointers within the first three minutes of the contest. Robertson positioned her squad to come back and lead the Red Raiders, 17-15, at the end of the first quarter.

Oklahoma’s defense stirred up shooting and rebounding struggles for Texas Tech in the first half, which was reflected in the Sooners generating a 40-31 advantage going into halftime.

Out of the locker room, the Red Raiders struck first, gaining 5 points within the first 70 seconds of the second half. But, just like she did in the first half when Texas Tech scored a quick 5 points, Robertson responded with a deep 3-pointer. Despite the make, the Red Raiders later accumulated a 9-0 run and a 53-48 edge over the Sooners going into the fourth quarter.

Making a last-minute effort, the Sooners tied the game up, 70-70, with just 1:21 left in the game. OU was down by as much as 9 points with 4:09 left in the game, but with the help of Robertson’s success from beyond the arc, the Sooners came from behind to win.

Robertson, the Sooners’ most prolific shooter, finished the night with 24 points and seven made 3s. Behind Robertson, sophomore guard Gabby Gregory put up 16 points.

After notching its first conference win of the season, Oklahoma will turn its focus to hosting TCU at 3 p.m. Saturday on FOX Sports Oklahoma.

Correction: This post was updated at 11:45 a.m. Jan. 7 to delete an error regarding when the Sooners' most recent conference game was.