OU volleyball: Sooners prepare for matchup against SMU

• 0
Sanders

Sophomore outside hitter Sarah Sanders hits the ball against TCU on Nov. 9.

Oklahoma (7-3) has had a rollercoaster-type year now 10 games into the 2019 season.

After starting off the season with a disappointing 1-2 performance in the Colorado State Invitational, the Sooners rebounded by winning six-straight matches to improve their season record to 7-2. However, that streak came to an abrupt end on Tuesday when the Sooners fell to Texas A&M in five sets.

The Sooners held A&M to a .207 hitting percentage while swinging .225, but the Aggies out-killed OU 65-57 in the contest.

“We had our opportunities ... we had the numbers to win, we didn’t have the heart,” head coach Lindsay Gray-Walton said. “That’s not a knock on (our team), you just gotta play all-out for 25 points in every set, especially on the road. We learned a lesson. I think Saturday will be different.”

Oklahoma now turns its attention towards its final non-conference opponent of the regular season, SMU. The Mustangs (7-2) are coming off a dominant 3-0 sweep over TCU. SMU held the Horned Frogs to a staggering .106 clip in the matchup.

“(SMU) knows their identity, they know what makes them good and what’s going to help them win a lot of games, ” Gray-Walton said. “For us, we need to be prepared. ... Anyone on any day is good enough to beat you, so we need to give our best effort. (A win) on Saturday would be more than just a resume-build — it’s a confidence boost.”

The Sooners square off against the Mustangs at 4 p.m. on Saturday at McCasland Field House.