OU Volleyball: Sooners defeat Oregon State, 3-2, in comeback thriller

• 0
McLaughlin

Sophomore setter Kylie McLaughlin hits the ball against the horned frogs Nov. 9, 2018. 

After dropping the first two sets, Oklahoma rallied to win three straight sets in the Indiana Invitational to beat Oregon State in a 3-2 thriller.

Set one was closely contested by both teams, as Oregon State managed a 20-19 lead late. Four quick scores by the Beavers increased their lead to 24-19. A service error by OSU and back-to-back kills by middle blocker Abby Butler and outside hitter Olivia Curtis brought the Sooners to within two and forced a Beaver timeout. Nonetheless, the Beavers closed the set with a kill to take a 25-22 victory. The Beavers took set two in a more dominant fashion, giving the Sooners a 2-0 deficit.

Oklahoma found itself in a 20-20 tie in set three. With their backs against the wall, the Sooners were provided a huge spark with two kills from outside hitter Sarah Sanders. After that, Oklahoma was able to force three straight attack errors to win its first set of the day, 25-20.

Still riding off the energy from the previous set, Oklahoma dictated set four from beginning to end. Up 22-14 after scoring 7 straight points, another pivotal attack error by OSU and kills from Sarah Maras and Paige Anderson gave OU a 25-18 win and knotted the match up at 2-2.

In the fifth and final set, both teams were deadlocked late once again — this time in a 16-16 tie after another kill from Sanders. Needing to win by 2, OU received an unexpected heroic performance from sophomore defensive specialist Aysia Harty, who delivered back-to-back serving aces to give the Sooners the 18-16 match win. 

With the win, Oklahoma’s regular season record now improves to 2-2.

Oklahoma resumes play tomorrow at 11 a.m. as they take on the Yale Bulldogs and again at 6 p.m. to face the Indiana Hoosiers.