OU volleyball: Sooners beat Chicago State, 3-2, in close match

• 0
Paige Anderson

Sophomore outside hitter Paige Anderson aims to hit the ball against Texas Tech on Oct. 10, 2018. 

A day after dropping their season opener, the Sooners beat Chicago State in a close 3-2 set in game two of the Colorado State Invitational.

The match was back and forth, with Chicago State winning the first and fourth set and Oklahoma coming back in the second, third and closing the match with the fifth set. The win is the Sooners’ first of the season, improving their record to 1-1. 

Chicago State started the first set with a strong lead but got disrupted with Oklahoma graduate student Ashlynn Dunbar’s multiple powerhouse kills that close the gap to 21-20 Chicago State. With a tied game of 22-22, Chicago State attained a 2-point lead and trumped Oklahoma, 25-23. 

Junior Sarah Maras started the second set with a solid swing from the outside, putting the Sooners at 1-0. Oklahoma got back ahead after freshman Sanna Dotson slammed a kill from the outside, breaking the tie for 8-7. The Sooners ended the set with a demolishing 25-17 win. 

With another energetic start, Oklahoma led Chicago State 4-2 in the third match. Thanks to senior Brianna Kadiku sending a hard hit to the corner, the Sooners blazed forward with a 9-point lead of 21-12. With Oklahoma's second win 25-16, the two teams moved into the fourth set.

The Sooners' fortune did not last forever, as Chicago State fervently fought back with a 12-11 lead. Dunbar, yet again, smashed the ball down-line to tie the game at 16. But after Chicago State called its second timeout, the Sooners pulled through with a 25-23 win.

In the fifth set, junior Sarah Sanders launched the ball for a point and then joined freshman Abby Butler for the block, earning Oklahoma a 2-1 lead. Then, junior Paige Anderson and Dunbar double-blocked, furthering the gap to 10-5. Maintaining its lead, Oklahoma ended the fifth match 15-10. 

Grinding for every point, Oklahoma claimed a 3-2 set win against Chicago State, with Dunbar firing 21 kills and junior Kylee McLaughlin earning a double-double. 

The Sooners return to action tonight against the Colorado State Rams at 8 p.m.