OU softball: What Patty Gasso said prior to NCAA Norman Super Regional

• 0
Patty Gasso

OU coach Patty Gasso walks to talk to a player in the game against Oregon State March 1.

Head coach Patty Gasso held a press conference prior to the NCAA Norman Super Regional. The top-seeded Sooners will be taking on Northwestern in a three-game series, the winner of which will secure a birth in the 2019 Women's College World Series.

Here's what the 2019 Big 12 Coach of the Year had to say: 

On junior pitcher Giselle Juarez and the pitching staff work load

"(Juarez) has thrown a lot, but not nearly as much as some of our pitchers in the past. So, when you look at the numbers between (OU's three pitchers), they're all pretty close. I've never had a pitching staff that's like that. They're not identical, but they're pretty close."

On the team's mindset going into Super Regional play

"I think you'll see a different attack mode, I think you'll feel a little more energy (from the offense). When you have your back's against the wall and you know that your season could be over, it's uncomfortable and they fought through  that. They know that this is the most important weekend of their season because it'll either send us home or we'll go to the promised land, and there's nothing they want more."

On Northwestern pitching coach and former Sooner softball star Michelle Gascoigne 

"She was fantastic with camps, she's very good with teaching. I'm not surprised she's in the position she's in right now and doing so well. Northwestern got a gem, and they got her when she was still pretty young."

On the amount of ex-college softball players getting into coaching

"That's one of the highlights of my careers as I get older, is seeing these young females get into coaching. (Northwestern's) got a great staff... you could take both of these staffs and create an All American team right there. It's so pleasing, it's a highlight for me."