OU softball: Sooners dominate GCU Kickoff Tournament, emerge undefeated

• 0
Clifton-dance.gif

Junior infielder Caleigh Clifton celebrates an out during game one of Super Regionals May 25.

No. 4 Oklahoma (5-0) went undefeated in the GCU Kickoff Tournament, winning all five of its games by a combined score of 44-2 and earning its final three wins via the run-rule. 

Here's how each game went down:

Oklahoma 6, Syracuse 0

The Sooners first victory was led by a dominant start on the mound from junior Mariah Lopez, as she pitched seven shutout innings while striking out 12 batters and allowing one run. 

Offensively, sophomore Lynnsie Elam and freshman Grace Green combined for four hits and four RBIs, marking the first multi-hit game for both players.

Oklahoma 7, Grand Canyon 1

Oklahoma trailed early against the Antelopes after giving up a home run in the first inning, but six-run fifth inning for the Sooners put them on top for good.

Juniors Giselle Juarez and Shannon Saile combined to pitch all seven innings, with Juarez striking out two batters and allowing one run over the first four innings and Saile striking out six over the final three innings.

Senior Caleigh Clifton hit Oklahoma's first home run of the season on her way to totaling two hits and two RBIs. Senior Sydney Romero and sophomore Jocelyn Alo combined for six hits and one RBI.

Oklahoma 13, Charlotte 0

The Sooners victory over the 49ers was another dominant showing both in the circle and at the plate, as Oklahoma scored seven runs in the first inning and sealed the victory in just five innings due to the run-rule. 

Lopez delivered another masterful performance from the mound, as she pitched five shutout innings while fanning 10 batters and allowing just one hit.

Freshman Grace Green went 3-for-3 at the plate while notching a home run and scoring four times. Seniors Raegan Rogers and Shay Knighten also knocked balls out of the park.

Oklahoma 9, Syracuse 1

In another game that ended after just five innings due to the run-rule, the Sooners beat Syracuse for the second time of the weekend.

Juarez started the game and allowed one run and three hits while striking out two batters over the course of four innings. Saile pitched the final inning, striking out one batter and allowing no hits.

Alo and Rogers combined for five hits and three RBIs, including a home run from Rogers. Romero and Knighten also each had two RBIs.

Oklahoma 9, San Diego State 0

In their final game of the weekend, the Sooners again won in just five innings due to the run-rule.

Saile made her first start of the season and found instant success, allowing just one hit while striking out eight batters over the course of five innings.

Clifton went 3-for-4 at the plate with a pair of hits and one RBI, including one home run. Freshman Grace Lyons also tallied a home run on her way to a 2-for-2 day with two RBIs.