OU softball: Sooners beat NCAA single-season home run record

• 0
Lynnsie Elam

Sophomore catcher Lynnsie Elam hits a single during the game against Oklahoma State May 4.

In a season where Oklahoma set a program record for most consecutive wins, the Sooners etched their names in the history books again on Saturday against Northwestern in the NCAA Norman Super Regional by hitting their 108th home run on the season, an NCAA record.

In the top of the seventh, sophomore catcher Lynnsie Elam stepped to the plate, swung and made history. It was just her fifth home run of the year, but the team's 108th.

The Sooners beat Northwestern, 8-0, and earned a spot in the 2019 Women's College World Series. Their opponent will be Alabama, at a time yet to be determined.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.