OU men's gymnastics: Yul Moldauer wins Nissen-Emery Award

• 0
Yul Moldauer

Senior Yul Moldauer waits to perform March 9.

The legend of Yul Moldauer continues to grow.

The Oklahoma senior was named the 2019 Nissen-Emery Award winner Thursday night. The Nissen-Emery Award is awarded every season to the top senior male gymnast in the NCAA — essentially making it the “Heisman Trophy” of gymnastic awards.

The four-year U.S. Senior Men’s National Team member won the award off yet another dominate season. The 2019 season saw Moldauer help lead No. 1 Oklahoma to a perfect regular-season record and eighth-straight conference championship. Individually, Moldauer took home an impressive 25 total event titles on the year and holds the NCAA’s top scores for floor exercise, still rings, pommel bars and the all-around. In March, Moldauer won his third consecutive American Cup all-around title — a feat only accomplished by three other gymnasts in NCAA history.

Career-wise, Moldauer is tied for most individual national titles in NCAA history with seven. However, Moldauer could take sole possession of first place in this weekend’s National Championship meet. On top of that, Moldauer, thanks to the team’s win at the 2019 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships, holds the most individual conference titles in Oklahoma’s history with 12 and second most All-America honors with 15. Moldauer also possesses the top five parallel bar scores in OU history.

Moldauer’s win makes him the eighth Sooner in NCAA history to win the award, the most of any other team.