OU men’s gymnastics: Sooners top No. 9 Iowa in front of rowdy home crowd

• 0
David Sandro

Freshman David Sandro during the meet against Iowa on Feb. 8.

After their first loss of the season two weeks ago against No. 2 Stanford, the Sooners came out with a fire within them Saturday night in McCasland Field House and took down No. 9 Iowa, 411.600 to 403.250.

In their meet against Iowa, the Sooners were looking to not only get their 74th straight victory at home, but also impress the Sooner crowd at the home opener. 

During the fourth rotation, freshman David Sandro lined up for his routine on the parallel bars when a clap chant broke out. It was not from the Sooner fans but from his teammates, lined up on the empty floor.

With sophomore Vitaliy Guimaraes and freshman Jack Freeman out with injuries, the Sooners needed Sandro to put up quality performances.

“With (Guimaraes) and (Freeman) out, (we) knew there needed to be some extra energy to help me get through that,” Sandro said.

Sandro came through in the absence of Guimaraes and Freeman, placing top five in each event he participated in, other than a seventh-place finish on floor.

Sandro said he love the energy of the crowd on Saturday night.

“It was absolutely incredible. I knew it was going to be intense, and it still took me by surprise,” Sandro said. “Knowing that it’s a home crowd, everyone wants to see you succeed, so why not do it?”

The crowd brought a relentless energy, but the Sooners were motivated by more than just the desire to win.

The Sooners wanted to show they’re still an undoubted contender, despite their loss to Stanford two weeks ago. Even with the loss, the Sooners still were ranked No. 2 in the College Gymnastics Association's Week 4 power rankings.

“The last article written about us by (the College Gymnastics Association) was telling us, don’t sleep on the Sooners," Sandro said. "We really took that to heart. (The Stanford Open) was not one of our best meets, but you can’t let that define you. I feel like tonight defines us — how we can bounce back from anything.”

The top-ranked Sooners will meet against No. 3 Michigan at 1 p.m. CT Feb. 15 in Ann Arbor.