OU men's gymnastics: Sooners beat No. 10 Navy, make history with 111th straight win

• 0
Dyer

Sophomore Gage Dyer smiles after landing his routine March 9.

After dropping from the No. 1 spot last week despite still being undefeated, No. 2 Oklahoma came into Annapolis, Maryland, on Saturday with more than just a chip on their shoulders, as they soundly defeated No. 10 Navy, 416.700-400.600. The win helps the Sooners tie the University of Connecticut women's basketball for the third-longest winning streak in NCAA history with a ridiculous 111 straight wins.

In the program’s first ever meet at the U.S. Naval Academy, the Sooners made their presence known as they won five of six event titles on the day. On top of that, a Sooner won each of the six individual event titles.

The Sooners began on pommel horse, the only event in which they didn’t win, putting up a 64.500. Senior co-captain Yul Moldauer won the individual title with a 14.200.

In the second rotation, the Sooners started a hot streak that just refused to go out as they put up 71.300 on floor exercise. Sophomore Gage Dyer, who made his return to the lineup, took the individual title with a 14.750 routine. All five Sooners in the lineup posted strong scores of 13.800 or better.

OU really began to take control of the meet in vault in the third rotation.  All five Sooners went 14.000 or better. Oklahoma was led by junior Matt Wenske and freshman Vitaliy Guimaraes’ who both posted 14.800s. Wenske and Guimaraes both took home a share of the individual title for this event.

Moving onto the fourth rotation, the Sooners scored a 69.850 on still rings. Moldauer continued his successful outing by winning his second title of the day with a 14.700 routine. OU would then put up 70.100 on the next rotation, high bar. Dyer won his second individual title of the meet with a career-high 14.700.

Oklahoma concluded the meet with 68.250 on parallel bars. This event saw Moldauer take home his third and final individual title with a 14.700 routine.

The Sooners will finish off the regular season next Saturday with a dual meet at the University of California, Berkeley. A win next week would break Oklahoma’s historic third place tie with UConn and make it five-straight undefeated seasons for the Sooners.