OU men's basketball: What the Sooners said after advancing in the NCAA Tournament

• 0
Christian James

Senior guard Christian James shoots a free throw during the game against West Virginia March 2.

The Sooners aren't done yet.

Oklahoma (20-13, 7-11 Big 12) is a step further from last years' first round exit of the NCAA Tournament after a 95-72 win over Ole Miss (20-13, 10-8 SEC) Friday. Now, the Sooners have to face No. 1 seed Virginia on Sunday. The time of the match has not been set yet.

Here's what the Sooners had to say after the win.

Hot start

The Sooners started the game on a 12-0 run, and finished the half with 50 points.

Senior guard Christian James: “We did have a good start. We've been having a lot of good practices, just getting reps up and things like that. The ball felt good today. It felt good today. Trying to give my team a boost.”

Senior forward Rashard Odomes: “I don't know. I think (a good start to a game) just sets the tone for the whole game. I felt like we just carried that momentum throughout the whole game, as well. We just wanted to deliver the first blow. When you're doing things like that, great outcome comes. That's all we wanted to do.”

Momentum going forward

James: "I think it gives us a lot of momentum, just moving forward. Ole Miss is a good team. So we just want to go out there and get momentum and just get as much momentum as possible and just keep it rolling. We're going to watch some ball games and regroup and get ready for Sunday."

Rashard Odomes

Odomes had one of his best performances of the season, putting up 20 points on 8-of-10 shooting. Odomes was also sent to the foul line four times, all of which were whistles after a made shot.

Odomes: "Just the team really got me going, you know. Before the game, we were all hyped, and it's just the way everyone's been practicing previously. So the team found me for good looks, and I just finished, honestly."

Four Sooners with double-digit scoring

James, Odomes, junior forward Kristian Doolittle and sophomore forward Brady Manek all scored in the double digits Friday.

Head coach Lon Kruger: "We've had different guys different times in the year step up and be key scorers for us, not always the same guy. Today they kind of all hit on the same date. But the guys moved the ball. They got good looks, like they said. Duke played great out of the post. Christian James making shots early, Brady, I thought Rashard, perhaps one of his better games of the year. A lot of different guys stepped up and played well."

Doolittle: Going into the game, I couldn't have predicted I'd have 19 and 15, but I'm glad to have it. Just doing what my team needed me to do and getting it going early in the first half. Then my teammates took over for the remainder of the first half, and the points were spread out evenly across the board. So just taking what the defense gives me, not really forcing anything, just following the game plan.