OU men's basketball: Sooners trail Virginia 31-22 at halftime in NCAA Tournament

• 0
Manek shot

Sophomore forward Brady Manek shoots over a defender during a game against Kansas Mar. 5.

No. 9 seed Oklahoma trails No. 1 seed Virginia, 31-22, at halftime in the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament.

The Sooners came out slow, falling behind 7-0 early. But OU was able to go on a 11-0 run to take a 13-7 lead. Both teams would go back and forth before the Cavaliers were able to take a nine-point lead into the locker room. 

Sophomore forward Brady Manek kept the Sooners in the game early, hitting back-to-back three-pointers and leading OU in scoring at the half with 13 points. Junior forward Krisitian Doolittle was the only other bright spot for Oklahoma, scoring six points and bringing down five rebounds. 

Virginia's stifling defense held the Sooners to just 33.3 percent shooting from the field and had six blocks. Oklahoma will have to play its best half of the season if it wants a chance to advance to the Sweet 16. 

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.