OU men's basketball: Scouting report for Sooners second round opponent, Virginia

• 0
Odomes free

Senior guard Rashard Odomes shoots a free throw during a game against Kansas Mar. 5.

After its 95-72 victory over Ole Miss on Friday, No. 9 seed Oklahoma is set to play No. 1 seed Virginia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday at 6:45 in Columbia, South Carolina.

Here's what you need to know about the Cavaliers:

Season recap:

Virginia has established itself among college basketball's elite in head coach Tony Bennet's tenure, and this year has been no different.

The Cavaliers posted a 30-3 record for the season, with their only losses coming against No.1 seed Duke (twice) and No. 4 seed Florida State. This was good for their second consecutive ACC regular season championship.

They had seven wins against tournament teams. These included victories over No. 4 seed Virginia Tech (twice), and on the road against No. 1 seed North Carolina

The Cavaliers entered the season ranked No. 5 in the AP poll and never fell below that ranking. They currently hold the No. 2 ranking in the country.

About the offense

The Cavalier's offense is focused heavily on playing smart, not turning the ball over and making three-pointers.

They play with the slowest pace in the country, playing with an average of 59.5 possessions per game. They also boast the fewest amount of turnovers and the fourth highest three-point percentage in the country.

They score 71.8 points per game, which is 199th in the nation. The bulk of their scoring comes from their backcourt, with over 60% of their scoring coming from their three starting guards.

About the defense

Virginia's calling card in Bennet's time has been its defense. This year, the Cavaliers led the nation in scoring defense by holding their opponents to 55.1 points per game.

In their two losses to Duke, the Blue Devils scored 72 and 82 points, respectively. Outside of those two games, Virginia never allowed any team to score 70 points on the season. In 12 of their 22 ACC regular season games, the Cavaliers held opponents to under 60 points.

They also rank in the top ten in opponents field goal makes (3rd), field goal percentage (5th), three point percentage (2nd), free throws made (2nd), free throws attempted (9th) and rebounds allowed (9th).

Three players to watch

Junior guard Kyle Guy: Guy is one of Virginia's leading scorers  at 15.4 points per game. Guy is most dangerous behind the three-point line. He shoots 45.7% behind the arc, which is good for 8th in the nation. The former five-star recruit was named to the All-ACC First Team for the second year in a row.

Sophomore guard Deandre Hunter: After suffering an injury late in his freshman season, Hunter emerged as one of the nation's best prospects this season. He is tied with Guy at 15.4 points per game, he shoots 44.8% from three and he averages 5.1 rebounds per game. Like Guy, he was named to the All ACC First Team. ESPN has Hunter listed as the 5th best prospect in the 2019 NBA Draft.

Junior guard Ty Jerome: Jerome is the third leading scorer for the Cavaliers at 13 points per game and shoots 39.5% from three. He led the ACC in assists at 5.4 per game. In Virginia's 73-68 win against Louisville on March 9, Jerome scored 24 points on 57% shooting and had six assists. He was named to the All ACC Second Team.