OU men's basketball: Oklahoma's season comes to end, fall to Virginia 63-51

• 0
Brady Manek

Sophomore forward Brady Manek shoots a three pointer in the game against Kansas March 5.

Oklahoma's season came to an end Sunday night, falling to No. 1 seed Virginia 63-51 in Columbia, South Carolina. 

The Sooners fell behind early, but responded with a 11-0 run to take a 13-7 lead. But that would be one of the times Oklahoma saw the lead. Virginia would take a 31-22 lead into the locker room, holding OU to just 33.3 percent shooting in the first half. 

Virginia controlled much of the second half, extending its lead to as many as 16 points. The Cavaliers stifling defense held Oklahoma to just 36.5 percent shooting, holding on for a 63-51 win and advancing to the Sweet 16.

Sophomore forward Brady Manek and senior guard Christian James led Oklahoma in scoring with 13 points each. Junior forward Krisitian Doolittle added eight points and five rebounds.

Oklahoma will now look to a promising 2019-20 season, which will feature Manek, Doolittle, freshman guard Jamal Bieniemy and a top 20 recruiting class coming in. 

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.