OU men's basketball: Lon Kruger to receive John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award

• 0
Lon Kruger

OU coach Lon Kruger watches his players March 2.

Oklahoma head basketball coach Lon Kruger will receive the John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award Friday at 7 p.m. The award is given to the college basketball coach who exemplifies integrity and success, and is named after legendary UCLA coach John Wooden.

“It's an incredible honor to be listed with the coaches who have previously earned this award,” Kruger said in a press release back in October. “John Wooden set the standard for coaching and leading with integrity and it's humbling to be recognized for an honor rooted in the values that he cherished.”

The award ceremony will take place at the Wooden Award's Duke's Dinner at the Los Angeles Athletic Club and broadcasted on ESPN2.

Kruger just completed his 33rd season as a head coach, and eighth at Oklahoma. The seasoned coach has coached at destinations such as Florida and UNLV, and has coached in the NBA — the Atlanta Hawks. Kruger is the only coach to have an NCAA Tournament win with five different programs.

In his latest season, Kruger led the Sooners to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, where the team lost to Virginia. The Sooners finished with a 20-14 overall record.