OU men's basketball: Jim Molinari hired as assistant coach

• 0
Jim Molinari

Jim Molinari has been hired as a new assistant coach for the OU men's basketball team.

Oklahoma has hired Jim Molinari to be an assistant coach, head coach Lon Kruger announced Thursday. 

Molinari brings over 30 years of coaching experience to the Sooners, including 20 seasons as a head coach at the Division I level. He has worked as an assistant coach at Nebraska for the past five seasons. 

"We're thrilled to have Jim join our program as an assistant coach," Kruger said in a press release. "He brings terrific experience, a passion for the game and genuine interest for the young people he works with on a daily basis. He does an excellent job of teaching the fundamentals, especially on defense."

Molinari has worked as a head coach at Northern Illinois (1989-91), Bradley (1991-02), Minnesota (2006-07) and Western Illinois (2008-14) and has compiled over 300 wins, three conference titles, and nine postseason appearances.

“It is a blessing and privilege to join Coach Kruger,” Molinari said in a press release. “I have known him for years as a mentor and group leader on and off the court. I also have high respect and admiration for Chris Crutchfield, Carlin Hartman and Mike Shepherd. I look forward to helping this special group of young men at this outstanding institution achieve their goals as people, students and athletes.”

More information can be found in the press release here.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.