OU men's basketball: Former Oklahoma coach John MacLeod dies at 81

• 0
John MacLeod

John MacLeod died at 81 years old.

Former Oklahoma basketball coach John MacLeod died Sunday at 81 years old.

MacLeod — born in 1937 — coached Oklahoma from 1967-73, and coached the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks and the New York Nicks. MacLeod's coaching record with OU is 90-69 and has 573 wins with the Suns, a franchise record.

“Our program is saddened to hear of John MacLeod's passing,” said head coach Lon Kruger in a press release. “Coach MacLeod had a tremendous impact on Oklahoma basketball and the game as a whole. He coached with class at both the collegiate level and in the NBA. Our Sooner family mourns with the MacLeod family during this difficult time.”

MacLeod is a member of the Suns Ring of Honor.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.